So, I'm sure all of you are wondering.."Gloomy Sundaes"..why choose this name for your blog, Zia Jacobs? Do you love ice cream so much that it makes you cry? Is this where frozen desserts come to die? These are all valid questions, and now I will attempt to answer them.
I guess this could go unsaid, but as a writer, I have a thing for "wordplay". Keeping that in mind, "Gloomy Sundaes" originated from a song titled "Gloomy Sunday" by the Hungarian pianist composer Rezso Seress. I don't want to bore you with the entire history of the song. ( I will, however, post a link to the Wiki page if you want to know more.)Jumping to the point, I heard the version sang by Billie Holiday when I was an impressionable teenager and I immediately fell in love with it.
I later found out that the song was attached to an urban legend that claimed that people frequently committed suicide after listening to it. Kind of morbid, huh? Here's a bit of juicy information about me; I am fascinated with morbid things, and have been for a long time. Finding out about the legend only made me fall more in love with the song.
Another interesting fact about me...I think that the combination of cute+morbid= amusing. So, when the thought of a suicidal ice cream sundae popped into my head one day, I couldn't help but giggle. Long story short, when it came time to think up a name for my blog, I remembered the idea and it seemed like a perfect fit for a place where I would be exposing all of my most intimate, personal thoughts.
That answers the question of the origin of "Gloomy Sundaes". Also, I do think that ice cream is quite nice in small doses, and the thought of frozen desserts somehow navigating their way through the internet to this particular page and committing suicide is..actually pretty disturbing. Let's all hope that we never have to see that.
That answers the question of the origin of "Gloomy Sundaes". Also, I do think that ice cream is quite nice in small doses, and the thought of frozen desserts somehow navigating their way through the internet to this particular page and committing suicide is..actually pretty disturbing. Let's all hope that we never have to see that.
Au Revoir,
Zia Jacobs
Oh yeah, here you go....http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gloomy_Sunday
Oh yeah, here you go....http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gloomy_Sunday
No comments:
Post a Comment